Universities that Accept Third Class For Masters in the UK

Universities that accept third class for masters in the UK, and UK universities in general, have historically had a different undergraduate degree system from many other countries around the world. There may be differences between what you are used to in school or college if you are from another country.

Most Russell Group Universities will not accept a third-class degree for a masters.

While universities that accept third class for masters in the UK are generally available, you may want to check key information about your degree programme specifications which contains more information on how your work will be marked.

How is a bachelor’s degree classified?

Upon graduation with a bachelor’s degree, you hope to receive a degree with honours. A ‘class’ of degree – or honours – indicates the level of academic achievement you have gained during your bachelor’s course.

The grade you receive for your assessed work is usually reflected in your degree classification or class. In most countries, students are classed into four categories of honours degrees based on their academic grades – first class, second class upper, second lass lower, and third class.

The highest honours degree you can get at a UK university is a first-class degree, which is also called a 1st class degree. It ranges from 70% and above.

The second class degree has two levels. Second class upper, also known as a 2:1 or two-one, is the greater of the two degrees classifications. It ranges from 60-69%.

Lower second class honours (50-59%): a 2.2 or two-two is the lower level of the second class degree.

Third Class Honours (40-49%): known as a ‘third’ or 3rd class degree is the lowest honours degree achievable at a UK university.

What is an ordinary degree?

A student who narrowly misses out on a third class may receive an ordinary degree, meaning they will not receive an honours degree.

Can a third class degree be accepted for a master’s in the UK?

There are some universities that accept third class for masters in the UK. However, getting into a high-ranked university such as University College London (UCL), Oxford, Cambridge or Durham is difficult with a third class degree. Be that as it may, the universities that accept third class for masters in the UK are available especially when the applicant has relevant work experience and an appropriate level of English language qualification.

You do not need to apply through UCAS to gain admission into most master’s degrees in the UK.

It is worthy of note that there are good opportunities to further your education regardless of your bachelor’s degree outcome and you can apply for scholarships or find a decent job in many organisations both at home and abroad. A third class degree is not the end of the world.

Other than the fact that some universities that accept third class for masters in the UK, some students choose to do a pre-masters course to widen their choices of universities. Pre-masters courses are designed to help you progress on to postgraduate-level study especially if you do not currently meet the entry-level requirements for your chosen postgraduate degree and university.

This article lists the universities that accept third class for masters in the UK:

List of Universities that Accept Third Class For Masters in the UK

UniversitiesUniversities that Accept Third Class For Masters in the UK – Courses and Programmes
Birmingham City UniversityBCU accepts a wide variety of international qualifications. If you are a mature applicant and you have not satisfied the normal entry requirements, you may be admitted based on your work experience and whether you have existing certifications elsewhere. This may also vary depending on the course.
Wrexham Glyndŵr UniversityThe normal entry requirement in Wrexham Glyndŵr University is a 2.2 however in some courses, a third may be accepted subject to the university’s discretion. In courses such as MBA, Youth and Community Studies, and Engineering, significant work experience is required if you possess a third class degree.
University of West LondonIf you hold a third class honours degree, the University of West London may also offer you a place based on relevant experience or training, normally from within the work environment. A professional reference stamped by your employer/organisation may be required.
University of StirlingA second class Honours degree or equivalent is normally required. If you do not hold these qualifications as an international student, but you possess appropriate work experience in addition to your third class degree, you can apply for a master’s course. However, admission will depend on each course requirement.
Leeds Beckett UniversityA third class degree may be accepted if you possess a professional or vocational qualification, or you have equivalent experience or training, normally from within a relevant work environment.
University of BedfordshireThe normal entry requirement for master’s degrees is any good honours degree in an appropriate subject from a recognised university. They may consider candidates with other relevant qualifications and individuals with substantial related work experience.
Liverpool John Moores UniversityAn honours degree or equivalent is required for master’s degree admission. Applicants with an unclassified, third class or ordinary degree, and with relevant industrial experience may be considered for admission.
University of RoehamptonIf you have a third-class honours degree, you are encouraged to complete an application. Roehampton will consider your wider circumstances in making a decision on an application.
Sheffield Hallam UniversityIf you possess a first degree or professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to degree standard, you may be able to apply and gain admission to Sheffield Hallam University.
Edge Hill UniversityEntry requirements for a master’s degree usually ask for a degree with general classifications, which for some programmes may need to be in a relevant subject area.
List of Universities that Accept Third Class For Masters in the UK

Related Articles